Sunday, June 24, 2012

Waldo Canyon Fire

Dear Ella,



So I suppose  I should be recording major things that are happening around this time in your life, more than just the things that are within our household.  

The past few days have been EXTREMELY hot! It was 105 in the Springs yesterday. Today our house registered 93 degrees. Sooo hot! Because of this, you have had trouble sleeping ( I think you were up 6 times last night). We moved camp into the basement, it's probably only 80 degrees down there. An improvement though. 

Along with this drought, extreme heat, and Colorado summer wind, it's inevitable to have fires. Despite the statewide burn ban things happen and fires start.

Yesterday, Waldo Canyon caught on fire. Immediately we could see the smoke from our house rising to the right side of the Peak. 

Today, the fire has spread to over 2,500 acres, over 11,000 people have been evacuated. The smoke in the sky is sickening and the smell is even worse.

In spite of all this chaos and destruction, God allowed us to see the most BEAUTIFUL sunset tonight. I wish I would have had my camera as I rode my bike up to the hill.

All I could think of as I rode was Isaiah 61:3 and the Crystal Lewis song lyrics...
" He gives beauty for ashes
strength for fear
gladness for mourning
peace for despair"


-love, mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment