Monday, August 13, 2012

Learning to Pray

Dear Ella,

If I had to choose a favorite moment this week, I wouldn't choose the times you peeked around the curtains and said "hi mommy!", I wouldn't pick the time you helped me sort silverware, I wouldn't even choose you giving me your first spontaneous kiss on the mouth; I would choose the moment you prayed.

I knew you watched us. I knew you listened. What I didn't know, is how much you understood. Until now.

Tonight, during our usual bedtime prayer, you intentionally stopped talking and looked at my face for a moment. Immediately, your eyes become slivers like you do when pretending to be asleep. I watched you with my own half-closed eyes as I found your behavior new and fascinating (usually, you just lay your head on my shoulder when we pray). When I said "Amen", your eyes shot open, still holding my gaze.

You're getting it. Your starting to understand the cadence of a prayer, the reverence for the one we are praying to, the quiet and gentle spirit that we hone in on when talking to our Lord.

I know, dear baby, that young children have such amazing spiritual wonder. One that we, as adults have somehow lost along the way. I know you know Jesus by the way you look  for Him when we talk about Him. I pray that when we talk to Jesus that you are able to see his face for a very long time into your little life. Remember his face, dear girl.


Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment